Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Spinach, What???

November 18, 2008

I’ve got a crappy gag reflex. The pure thought of a lot of things makes my stomach actually do this lurching thing.

As a kid that included mushrooms, lima beans, etc.

As an adult I get to avoid whatever I want, but that ground to a halt when I read Heather’s blog with mention of “tuna cakes” and “spinach coulis.”

Now, I still don’t know what a tuna cake is, but I did dictionary.com the word “coulis.” (Yes, I used dictionary.com as a verb.)

Of note, “coulis” is a word so strange that my dear friends at Microsoft underline it in red because it’s clearly misspelled. Ya know, if Bill Gates doesn’t recognize it, perhaps you shouldn’t be consuming it.

I’m just saying…

Anyhow, dictionary.com says “coulis” is “a sauce made with puréed vegetables or fruit and used as a base or garnish.”

They list raspberry and strawberry as examples.

Those don’t sound too bad, but spinach?

FoodNetwork.com shows raspberry, garlic, tomato / basil and margarita coulises (uh, is that the proper plural?), but no spinach in the top 10. And my computer had a seizure each of the three times I tried to do a spinach coulis search.

I think there’s probably a reason for that.

No comments: