Thursday, January 22, 2009

Day 2 on the Running Wagon

January 21, 2009 – Nicole’s Food Log

So I returned to the treadmill again today. No less unpleasant, really. But I did up it to 2.46 miles which is something. (Not much, but something).

My friend Mac once said that the process itself never gets better, but you train to become more accustomed to misery and thus prolong your exposure to suffering.

Gosh, doesn’t that motivate you to go bust out a marathon?

Speaking of which, time to fess up that my friend Christiana is trying to get me to do the Disney Marathon next January.

We’ll see. My friend Caroline did it last weekend and it’s supposed to be a lot of fun… or, fun for a marathon anyway. Her only real complaint was that it’s so large it’s a logistic clusterf*&^.

Oh, and there’s no beer at the finish line which is always a disappointment.

Though, for fun, I advise checking out the following video Cree sent me that she found on YouTube...



The funnnniest part of this video is the ice bath. HYSTERICAL!!! As an occupational thing, I'm very well aware of ice baths and have heard the tales, seen the physical thing over in the Recovery Center, but never had the fun of doing this awful awful thing to myself.

(NOTE: I asked around regarding whether ice baths really are this bad and was given a resounding YES!)

Anyhow, we’ll see what I think of the concept of the marathon later in the year, but gives me something to think about while suffering other than a blatant desire to get skinny. I like the idea of being able to say you did it. Not for time or anything special, just to say I survived.

Actually, you see that on resumes in the Springs. Under “Activities” people will write “Pike’s Peak Ascent or Marathon Survivor.”

No joke.

Then again, if I ran 13.1 miles up a mountain or 26.2 up and down, that’s how I’d greet people: “Hi, I survived the Ascent.”

(NOTE: While I come up with crazy ideas, that was nothing more than a random tangent, but crazy and stupid are not two words that are interchangeable. We will NEVER hear me even vaguely consider such nonsense).

I digress.

Anyhow, so the treadmill bonding returned. Woohoo.

Oh… and, even more important… I HAVE DRUGS!!!

Got my Cipro filled at Walgreen’s last night.

For those with good memories or (like me) just a knack for useless trivia, Cipro became most famous for it’s use treating anthrax.

This scares me more than a little, but I suppose if it can kill anthrax it can kill bronchitis.

Or me.

Here’s to hoping for the former.

Ok, moving on to food…

Breakfast
Egg McMuffin (280)
*Of note, I like a good Egg McMuffin and see nothing wrong with it. My coworker mocked my muffin, said 280 calories is a ridiculous amount to eat for breakfast and then claimed that her sopapilla (sp) was wayyyy healthier. Uhhhh, Heather, you wanna take that one?

Lunch
Pizza bites (300)

Workout
2.46 miles on treadmill (281 calories burned)
13 minutes on bike (76 calories burned)

Dinner
Mac and cheese (780)
Mayo (80)
Hot dog (100)

Total calories: 1540

Weight: 70.2kg

2 comments:

heather said...

You know Disney has a half-marathon too, right? Different weekend, and more managable for most people.

As for the sopapilla, ay. White flour, hydrogenated oil (or lard, if cooked more traditionally). Yours had more calories, but she thought that was healthier? Yeah, no. You might actually have the edge here.

And for the record, new research shows that people who consume 600 calories at breakfast (!) tend to lose more weight than people who have smaller breakfasts.

Anonymous said...

Yeah I know Disney has a couple... The Princess is what I originally wanted to do... There's also a half the same weekend as the full so I figure if it turns out I can't pull it off I can still go down the same weekend and do that instead. Actually Tammie just did the Rock n roll half in Arizona and she said the organizers got 2,000 people less in the full than they expected and the half was crazy huge because they think people said screw it this is crazy.

Yes, I've seen the breakfast research... Really I've found that as long as there's a decent dose of protein I can cut back on the calories a bit so the egg mc leaves me plenty happy.

As for the sopapilla, never had one but when she explained that it was a fried thing with meat and potatoes I figured there's no way she was partaking in the breakfast equivalent of string cheese. That said, she was insistent that I'm a moron and since I am pretty clueless on certain things thought I'd ask. --nj