Wednesday, January 7, 2009

See? I Ate a Banana! And… “Why I Should Have Been the Milk Drinking Poster Child”

January 3, 2009 – Nicole’s Food Log

However unintentional, I did eat a banana today. Let it not be said that I NEVER eat fruit.

Ok, here’s the scoop… I went to my friend Jill’s for her birthday tonight all resolved not to eat a thing. And I did very well … until she brought out the chocolate frozen bananas and insisted I have one. Heavily insisted. And Jill’s an old judo girl (ironically I met her before my current job! Small world!)… she could hurt me!

So ate the banana I did.

While I’m at randomness, can we discuss my discovery of EXACTLY what a serving size of milk is? Not much. I find this to be disturbing. One will notice I don’t drink milk much. There’s a reason for that. Not that I don’t like it. Quite the opposite. I grew up as a milk addict as a kid.

And not just any milk. WHOLE milk. 150 calorie, 8 grams of fat, whole milk.

And I drank it like it was my JOB.

(Of note, to this day I attribute 18 years of that to my round state… some will tell me I’m full of shit… yeah, do the math and try again…)

Anyhow, if you asked I’d probably say I drank a good six cups a day as a kid. After actually measuring out a cup for the first time (well, other than cooking) I realize that the real amount of milk I drank was wayyyy higher. I’ll stop before I realize how much higher, but, again, you do the math… NOT a good idea.

(Of further note: the reason for the large milk consumption is we didn’t drink pop … er, soda, as kids. Juice was done sometimes at breakfast, but largely if you had a glass in front of you it was the white stuff and we could be poster children for the dairy board.)

As an adult, I have a philosophy that 90% of my liquid consumption comes from water. If there’s gonna be caloric intake involved, there should be some level of chocolate or booze as part of it.

Which, come to think of it, might explain that my former drink of choice was a white Russian… before I realized it was calorically inefficient. Well, that and really there’s only so many of those things you can drink in a sitting.

Ok, on to the food log…

Breakfast
Pancakes (590)
Syrup (100)
Milk (80)

Workout
75 minutes on stationary bike (381 calories)

Dinner
Mac and Cheese (1280)
Hot dog (120)

Snack
2/3 chocolate frozen banana (200?)

Total calories: 2370

Weight: 72.2kg

No comments: