Friday, January 16, 2009

The Day I Almost Went to the Gym

January 10, 2009 – Nicole’s Food Log

Seriously? I’m OVER this being sick thing. I hate it.

I hate it for all the normal reasons, but mostly I hate it because I’m not getting anything done. Completely 100% unproductive.

So today I resolved that I would work out if it killed me.

Yeah, that didn’t happen. Somewhere around 6 o’clock I swore I was going to get up and go to the gym. Because even if I didn’t have it in me to run, row or lift, I can almost always convince my legs to peddle.

Then I started doing some math. I hadn’t eaten since breakfast which I was ok with, but I knew I’d probably need something for the old gullet before I worked out. I was guessing some string cheese and wheat thins would take the edge off. But that would clock in at around 150-200 calories.

Now, I already felt like crap, so clearly this wasn’t going to be a long workout. At best I was going to burn 250-350.

Minus the 200 calories I needed to eat just to motivate myself off the couch.

Add in the fact that it’s cold and dark outside and you come up with absolutely no reason to go anywhere.

It sounds like a cop out, but it’s actually something I stole from a coach friend of mine in the office.

A couple weeks ago I had a party to hit after work. I got caught up with stuff and was trying to figure out if I was going to have time to go to the gym beforehand, but first I clearly needed a snack.

In the form of, um, the leftover Papa John’s in the fridge.

So I walk in to Eddie’s office pondering about whether I can squeeze a row in before the party and he looks at me like I’ve lost my damn mind and says “Skip the workout and throw away the pizza.”

At which point it dawned on me: “HEY IDIOT… Though you should work out for all the normal reasons, from a caloric perspective, he’s right. You can save yourself an hour by dumping the pizza in the trash can and bypassing the gym entirely.”

Now granted, one would be better off dumping the pizza AND going to the gym anyway, but perhaps that’s a lesson I’ll learn another day.

On to the log…

Breakfast
Pancakes (510)
Syrup (100)

Snack
Wheat thins (70)

Dinner
Spaghetti (600)
Marinara / vodka sauce (100)
EVOO (120)
Parmesan (80)

Total calories: 1580

Weight: 71.0kg

No comments: